This past week, I was given the opportunity to celebrate with coupons for some of the new 20 oz drinks from Tampico. Funny story…lol…we don’t have these in the Midwest area where I live. To repay the free coupons and to appease the hubby, who was expecting a Tampico fiesta, I decided to search around and see what I could find. After trips to several stores, we were finally able to find some Tampico at one of our favorite local stores. If you don’t live in the Midwest, you’ve probably never heard of Hyvee, but for all the Mid-westerners, you know what I’m talking about. I’m from out East, so the closest comparison I can make is Plumb’s. For my hubby, a born and raised Texan, we’d have to hit the H.E.B. Having flashbacks yet? LOL. Scouring local food marts for a Tampico was another reminder that we’re living in the Midwest, but luckily, diversity is growing over here. Anyway, back to the Tampico…funniest thing, the only Tampico I could find was in the very containers that I always wanted to try, but could never find in Michigan…Mini Jugs!!! If I find anything in mini jugs, I have to buy it…LOL! They’re too cute to pass up!
So long story short, we ran around like a couple of nuts looking for Tampico 20 ouncers and we never did find them, but we’ve got some on back order! Ha! For fun, I thought I would giveaway some of the coupons I received so you can try your own 20 oz of Tampicos and I created a fun and fresh taco recipe that you can try too! For those who’ve never had Tampico, it’s a lot like Sunny D or Jumex. It’s not too sweet and a texture more like fruit nectar than juice, so they’re perfect for mixing drinks and tasty in marinades! Scroll down to see what I came up with. ;)
Tampico® Sweet & Savory Chicken Tacos with Chunky Mango Avacado Salsa
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 cup Tampico® Citrus Punch
- 1 fresh lemon, squeezed
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 avacado, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- fresh cilantro
- queso fresco (tastes great with or without!)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, marinate diced chicken breasts with garlic and salt. Set aside in fridge for an hour or more.
- Sear the chicken with oil in a medium saucepan until browned on all sides.
- Into the pan, pour in brown sugar, Tampico and lemon juice. Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid is thickened into a glaze.
- Add in lime zest and cook on low until fragrant.
- Dice avacado, mango and red onion, mix in a bowl with chopped cilantro for the avacado salsa. Season to taste with garlic, salt and lemon or lime juice.
- Serve chicken on tortillas with fresh salsa. Crumble queso fresco on top as desired.
Also try this delicious smoothie recipe from Tampico!
Tampico Blue Rasberry Smoothie
© 2011, Chantilly Patiño. All rights reserved.