Image: Flickr / Mike Rohde
This is part two in a three part series about blog conference prep. Read part one.
What to Bring to the Conference
Blogging conferences are a great opportunity for making connections with like minded bloggers, approaching brands for support and honing your professional blogging skills. To take the best advantage of all of these benefits though, it’s necessary to be prepared. Here are a few things must have items that you should bring with you to every blog conference.
- Business cards: Do bring plenty of business cards to the conference and make sure that they visually represent both you and your blog. Include a head shot, your theme colors, logo, slogan/tag line and relevant information like your name, blog name, contact information (phone, Facebook, Twitter, web address), QR Code that links to your blog or media kit. VistaPrint and Moo are two great options.
- Electronic devices: Guaranteed, you will probably need to Tweet, update Facebook or write a Blog post at some point during the conference, especially if you’re keeping in touch with non-attending bloggers or promoting sponsors. You’ll also likely be keeping tons of notes, photos, video, audio, etc. of your favorite presentations. Be sure to bring a laptop, Netbook, iPad, camera, cellphone, audio recorder and any other useful devices. Reminder: Don’t forget your chargers. ;)
- Personal agenda: Once you arrive at the conference, you’re likely to be bombarded with a host of events and you may find that there is little time to do any on-the-spot planning. Be sure that all of your return travel plans are in order. Write out your schedule for the conference sessions that you plan to attend, time for meet ups with your blogger friends and breaks or meal times.
A true lifesaving tool that can keep you on task and prevent mishaps or wasted time. A list can be a bloggers best friend.
- What to pack: Be sure to make a list of everything that you’re bringing with so that you can check items off as you pack for home and be sure that you haven’t left anything behind.
- Networking: Write up a list of which connections you would most like to network with and how you plan to address them. Create a short list of topics or questions that you would like to discuss with your fellow bloggers and be sure to make important discussions a priority during the event.
- Self Promotion: Make a plan about how you want to present yourself at the conference. You should be able to state your mission and objectives clearly, as well as your goals for the future. Become comfortable with listing off your strengths and accomplishments and don’t be afraid to approach individuals to share more about yourself.
- Promoting others: It’s a great idea to bring along some contact information for your favorite blog hermanas who couldn’t make it to the conference. Make note of their blog niche, name, email address and other important details so that you can you pass them along if you feel that others might be interested. Keep an address book or take their cards with you and be their personal ambassador. Building a strong network of mutual reliance is the key to success, so don’t be afraid to share the spotlight with your amigas and showcase their talents if the right opportunity arises.
- Reminders: Don’t forget to take time for yourself and schedule out veg time. Planning and finalizing details before the conference can help to put your mind at ease. There will be lots to do, many introductions, productive discussions and a number of new faces to learn, so be sure to refuel when needed and take the time to declutter your mind before jumping into the mix.
© 2011 – 2012, Chantilly Patiño. All rights reserved.