Activist Laura Tellado Continues Outreach with a National Collaborative Partnership Between Ten Latino Platforms in an Effort to Promote Spina Bifida Awareness
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Orlando, FL – October. 12, 2012 – The second annual Spina Bifida Awarness Month Collaborative Project is nearly here. Under the direction of Laura Tellado, blogger and creator of HoldinOutForAHero.org and Chantilly Patiño, Publisher of MulticulturalFamilia.com, the project has grown to include the global Spina Bifida Advocacy Network. The Facebook group boasts nearly 500 members and growing.
This year’s event, the Walk-N-Roll Twitter Party for Spina Bifida, which is set to take place on Twitter this Wednesday, October 17th, is expected to turn out a record number of Spina Bifida supporters and influencers in the Latino bloggers community. Ten highly influential networks have joined the cause to help promote, fundraise and get the word out about Spina Bifida Awareness Month.
About the Walk-N-Roll Twitter Party for Spina Bifida Partners:
- Bloggers of Health: Bloggers of Health (www.BloggersOfHealth.org) is a community for people who write about health in their blogs. We brainstorm, support, build friendships, educate, encourage, empower, create and share ideas, engage online and make connections with one another. We all come together with one major focus: HEALTH.
- Holdin’ Out for a Hero: Holdin’ Out for a Hero (www.HoldinOutForAHero.org) designed to generate public awareness of Spina Bifida, and its secondary conditions, while providing moral support and a forum for all who are affected.
- Latina Bloggers Connect: Latina Bloggers Connect (www.LatinaBloggersConnect.com) is a network for Latina bloggers that connects them to opportunities collaborate with brands and organizations that want to engage and create alliances with the fastest growing demographic online, Latina women.
- Latina Mom Bloggers: Latina Mom Bloggers (LatinaMomBloggers.com) service of Latina Moms Media, LLC and sister company of Hispanicize, Latina Mom Bloggers features the industry’s most comprehensive marketing services targeting Latina moms, the most sought after purchase decision-makers in the fast growing $1 trillion Hispanic market.
- Latinos in Social Media: Latinos in Social Media (Blog.Latism.org) is the largest organization of Hispanic Social Media users composed of bloggers, microbloggers, social network group leaders, e-commerce owners, marketers and more.
- Latino Rebels: The Latino Rebels (www.LatinoRebels.com) are a collective of social media influentials, bloggers, marketers, journalists, poets, writers, producers, photographers, and marketers. We use humor, commentary, opinions, independent stories, cross-links to others blogs, and our social media platforms to share our universe.
- Los Tweens: Los Tweens (www.LosTweens.com) is a web resource aiding parents of diverse backgrounds navigate the fun, yet challenging responsibility of raising multicultural children ages 7-12. Parents enjoy bilingual content to navigate this age while kids have fun sharing ideas.
- Multicultural Familia: Multicultural Familia (www.MulticulturalFamilia.com) is a multi-author platform and online magazine that is dedicated to empowering and making visible the new modern American family. Our aim is to promote open and honest discussions about the conversations that are most important to multicultural families.
- One Voice Radio: One Voice Radio (www.OfficialOneVoiceRadio.com) is a new media company that is powered by YOU, the listener! What does that mean? Well, simply put If there is a topic you want us to talk about or perhaps you have a cause that you need help bringing attention to, then One Voice Radio is the place for you! (Restrictions may apply) One Voice Radio is a place were your voice can be heard a place where your opinion matters!
- Sofrito for your Soul: Sofrito For Your Soul (www.SofritoForYourSoul.com) was established in 1997 to showcase the experience of being Latino In America from a cultural perspective. We promote the evolution of Latino culture in the United States. Our mission is to share the spirit of our heritage through art, fashion, music, dance, traditions,and emerging trends.
The network is rallying around the Walk-N-Roll Twitter Party for Spina Bifida in support of leading Latina activist, Laura Tellado, Founder of HoldinOutForAHero.org and advisor to Faces of Spina Bifida online magazine. Laura was born with Spina Bifida, a birth defect in which the backbone and spinal canal do not close before birth, and has been a lifetime advocate for Spina Bifida awareness. Tellado also sits on the board of the Spina Bifida Association, Central Florida chapter and has been featured on a variety of national news sites, such as NBC Latino and The Orlando Sentinel.
“I am incredibly grateful to the all the partners involved in making this dream a reality,” says Tellado, who has dedicated her life to raising awareness on Spina Bifida. “I’m encouraged by the partnership and believe it reinforces my motto that it really does ‘take a village.’ I hope next week’s event will educate families about Spina Bifida and gain support for Spina Bifida Association (SBA) chapter in central Florida.”
“This event is a great opportunity for our community to bring a voice to this cause,” says Chantilly Patiño, co-director of the event and publisher of several websites for multicultural families. “Like most families, ours wasn’t aware of Spina Bifida until it personally touched our lives. Laurita has brought a wealth of knowledge to the online community that we may not have discovered otherwise. Her blog has been an inspiration to many and a great resource for parents of children with Spina Bifida and their extended families. We’re all here to support her and rally behind this important cause.”
The Walk-N-Roll Twitter Party for Spina Bifida will take place on Wednesday, October 17th from 9:pm-10:30pm EST.
Tellado and her supporters will be asking their Twitter fans to make a donation to the Spina Bifida Association of Central Florida ( http://walknrollforsb.chipin.com/team-holdin-out-for-a-hero ) and giving away prizes to active participants thoughout the party.
About Spina Bifida Awareness Month:
October is National Spina Bifida Awareness Month, a time to educate the public and further understanding about Spina Bifida while celebrating the lives of the more than 166,000 Americans affected. Every day in the United States, an average of 8 births are affected by Spina Bifida or a similar birth defect of the brain and spine. It remains the most commonly occurring complex birth defect in this country.
About the Spina Bifida Advocacy Network:
The Spina Bifida Advocacy Network is a global group of individuals who want to connect and create real change for families touched by Spina Bifida. The Facebook group is open to all members of the online community at all levels of advocacy. Interested individuals are encouraged to join, share their stories and coordinate events online and in their own communities with the support of this global network.
For more information on Spina Bifida and to read Laura’s story, please visit HoldinOutForAHero.org.
Please direct questions and media inquiries to:
Spina Bifida Expert & Advocate
© 2012, Chantilly Patiño. All rights reserved.